Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Hello and Goodbye

Some news on the Boneberg front...

Last night Kevin bought a new car. He has wanted a new car for quite some time. He has been driving his jeep for seven years and he had gotten so sick of it. Both of our cars are old and untrustworthy. So, we went to test drive some cars last week to take advantage of the clunkers program going on right now. His car qualified, mine didn't. Hence, why Kev got the new car first.

So we had been back to this dealership three times as of last night, and I knew we would probably leave with the new car, but a little piece of me was feeling sad about leaving our old jeep left behind, to be destroyed. It was running and although we knew it had some serious problems, it was still running fine as of last night. When you turn your clunker in, they totally destroy the car, making it unusable. The thought of this made me very sad last night. Strange. I know it's just a car. It's not a person or even a pet, but as we cleaned his car out I started to feel a lump in my throat. I was holding back my feelings so as not to seem ridiculous in front of the salesman. As I got in the new car and closed the door, I burst into tears. I felt so bad about taking the car to it's death! We had so many great memories in that car. Lots of trips, and most of all, it was Maddy's car. She just loved jumping up in the back and hanging her big ol' head out the window. The windows were always covered in her slobber, and the carpet in the car has so much of her reddish brown hairs stuck in it, it was practically a different color. White shoe polish left over from our wedding was still speckled on the car, because we never could fully wash it all off. It definitely was not a car of any status or beauty, but it was ours.


Goodbye, old friend!

I felt so silly for feeling so sad. Why do we get so attached to things that really don't matter? Why are women plagued by mysterious emotions that men aren't? Why must I be so sentimental? Oh well. Jeep, I will miss you. Even though you were terrible ugly and dirty in the end, you were a good car, and I will remember the great times we spent riding around together.

No comments:

Post a Comment