Wednesday, April 29, 2009

No Regrets

Last Friday I traveled to my Alma Mater, ETBU to say farewell to my college choir director as he gave his final bow on the ETBU stage. He is retiring after many years and many lives touched. When I first got the notice in the mail, I immediately knew I wanted to go, but I procrastinated my RSVP because I didn't want to go alone, and Kevin really had no interest. It was going to be such a hassle to take off work and get someone to cover my afternoon classes so that I could be there at 4:00 for the alumni choir rehearsal. Well at the last minute, after realizing that I would regret not going forever, I pleaded with Kevin and I think he finally realized how important it was to me, he agreed to come with me. And as luck would have it, I only needed one class covered that afternoon.

As I arrived, I felt a twinge of nervousness. I hadn't been back to ETBU in 6 1/2 years. I wondered about what old familiar faces I would see. But as soon as I took my place on that stage, I felt as if no time at all had passed. The comfortable feeling of singing on that stage with Mr. Moore conducting pieces that are so near and dear to my heart was a feeling that I will never forget. It is hard to describe to someone who is not a musician and who was not there, but my years at ETBU singing in the choir under his direction were truly magical. I'm sure everyone feels this way about their group, but I always feel that no other group since could have been as magical as we were.

So, thank you Mr. Moore for all your inspiration and dedication to your students. You mean more to me than any other teacher. I had the priviledge to not only sing with you but to work for you, and I treasure that as well. It is because of you that I am a choir teacher today. I try my hardest to motivate my students and help them see the beauty in all music as you did for me.
And thank you to my husband, Kevin. Kevin loves music and is actually quite a good singer, but he does not understand why all things choir are so important to me. That is okay. He is attorney, not a musician. And I love him for being different than me. Thank you for coming with me and allowing me to experience something to special.

No comments:

Post a Comment