Even though I just posted yesterday, I am going to post again today. Shocker! :)
I went home during my lunch break yesterday. After eating, I wandered in to my closet in the hopes of spotting something...anything that I could sell on ebay to get some extra money. Now, don't misunderstand our financial adventures here...we are not that desperate. BUT, instead of having a garage sale, we thought we'd scour the house for items that might have some value that we don't use anymore and could possibly sell. Anyway, that's not even the point of this post...
While standing in my closet and glancing around my top shelf, my old hat box caught my eye. I see this thing every day, but something prompted me to pull it down and look inside. You see, this is where I keep all my old cards, letters and notes from years past. I sat on the floor of my closet and picked out a few items to glance at. I haven't opened that box in years, yet when I did, a flood of emotion came out. I didn't have a lot of time to have my "moment", but I still had one. I found an old letter that my Mimi had sent me my freshman year at ETBU. She was always so good about writing real letters. It made me miss her so much, and while her letter was simple and casual chit-chat, I soaked up every word. Even now, I feel the throat-lump forming.
I also found letters from old friends, that I didn't remember I had. Apparently, I got a lot of letters during that first year of college, and maybe I didn't appreciate them then, but I sure do now. It made me miss the days gone by, when we actually used to write each other real letters. Now it is all facebook and text messages. So fleeting. After leaving school and getting out into my first job and on with life, I began to lose touch with my dear college and high school friends. At one point, I remember questioning if I was ever really that close to these people. Reading those old letters, I suddenly felt close again to them for one moment. I know friends drift in and out of our lives at certain times. That is the way of life, I've learned. But no matter what my relationship with those people is like now, I am happy that I was their friend at one point in time. If you ever sent me a card or a letter...know that it is tucked away in that special box, and I'll revisit it again soon, and hopefully...have another moment.
Love this....
ReplyDeletei have the same type of box... full of sweet cards and letters that remind me of my dear friends.
ReplyDelete